Thursday, July 2, 2009

Winding Down...

I'm at the weird place in a job where I am just about out the door, other people have been assigned to do my various (legion) tasks, and they're still learning how to do them. I have written two quite large books about this and that--what to do when this happens, when to do what, the cascade of daily chores and how this must be done first so you have all the information you need to complete something else. Whew! ech I am not actually doing anything. I organize, put into piles, make lists, sit and read articles on the internet. There's a whirl of work going on around me, but I'm in the eye of the storm and the other side of the storm is not on its way. :) One thing I have realized is that I do a LOT of stuff. The funny thing about this is that I don't really care whether or not anyone does anything with what I have produced for them. If they throw it all out and just skate by with mininum--OK. I'm no longer invested in it. I know the manager of my department is concerned. I think his concern is enough for the whole department, and I am happy to let him worry about it. That's all. I'm in a really great place...

5 comments:

  1. Good for you. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called Short-Timer's Syndrome, Mom and I guess Old-Timers like you get it. I'm glad you can see your way out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They also call it short-timers disease when guys are about to get out of the military service--they're counting days/hours too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get an upset stomach just thinking about retiring. I'm glad you can do it.

    When I'm 72(ish), Karen will retire. Then, I'll consider it.

    It will all depend upon whether or not our kids can afford to send us on a Senior Mission.

    It's all up to them.

    Otherwise, I'll work until I die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Gives me heartburn thinking about never retiring...

    ReplyDelete