Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 3 Favorite TV Show

I wouldn't even know where to start on this one. There are shows I watch when I'm just "vegging" out, shows I watch on a semi-regular basis, shows I will watch when I find them on, and shows I actually look for.
I assume "favorite" TV show would have to be the ones I actually look for. There are some regular series shows I like but they're only good for a few weeks and then they start on reruns. I never watch reruns. As for shows I watch when I find them on, I guess I'd have to put most of what I watch in that category--science shows, TLC shows (I'm intrigued by the 19 kids show), some cooking and HGTV shows, and sometimes--rarely--old movies.
As for the ones I look for, sitting here in front of the computer with the TV off, I'm hard-put to come up with one. Well, there is one I really like that Bryant Gumbel does--"Real Sports" that I actually like. I know, who cares about sports? Not me, for sure. I have done some introspection about this because I had no idea in the beginning as to why I would watch this, or even give it a glance. I think it comes on HBO because those are the only movie channels we get. I don't know when it comes on. I look for it when I think about it, and will watch it if it's on. Here's the thing. The show is emceed by BG, and there are 4-5 regular reporters who tell the stories. The stories are not about the sports, the teams or their games. They are about the people who participate, the athletes. They choose (unerringly as far as I can tell) those people whose stories are worth retelling.
For instance, there was a story about a skier who was catastrophically injured and how his life has played out from that point. The story was well produced and interestingly written.
I usually have never heard of the athletes whose stories they portray, generally know nothing about their sport, and am not interested in the games they participate in, but the stories about the people are very interesting.
I think it's the "people" connection. I am interested in stories about people. I also like when some shows do the "stick your finger in the phonebook and do a story about whoever you point to."
I knew my answer to this one would be dumb.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's why I put it off. TV isn't really that important to me and we don't even have cable anymore.

    ReplyDelete