Friday, March 4, 2011

Blog Challenge, Day 2

Day 2

Post a picture of you and someone you have been closest to the longest.
The person in the world I have known the longest is my brother Bob, since I met him in December 1946. Next would be Daddy (1951-2), then Cheli (1960). After that would be my children and then in 1984 I met my husband, Bobby, and of course, his children.
Of course, I love my brother, sister and father, but I'm going with Cami on this one:
This was taken in the spring of 2009 while we were still riding our Gold Wing motorcycle (in the fall of '09 we sold the Gold Wing.)
We met in 1984 shortly after coming to Norman (we moved over Labor Day.) He had been divorced for 2 years and my divorce happened that month. I was pretty nuts at that time, and he was almost equally crazy. Divorce is a terrible thing and even if it is the best thing to do, given the alternatives, it is still a life-changing event that can affect you negatively for years if you are not prepared for it. I might have been the least-prepared person in the universe.
Bobby and I discovered very soon that we are polar opposites, but I liked him a lot even at the beginning. There was just something about him...
Well, we saw each other--not exclusively, but regularly--for the next 11 years. I can honestly say that it took me (and him, too) that long to untangle my thoughts, feelings and even identity.
I wasn't emotionally available for most of those years, and I had to re-learn to relate to my children and even to myself.
I can't say those were good years, but I grew emotionally as well as intellectually--I completed college during that time!
Bobby is supportive of me and my personal goals, he loves me, and if there is a disagreement, is willing to work together with me to figure out the best way forward.
Next month (April 19) we will celebrate our 16th anniversary. Honestly, neither of us thought it would last because neither of us really knew how to be successfully married. I guess we taught each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment