Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blog Challenge: Most Treasured Item

I just read Cami's blog about what she would grab in the event the house was on fire. Of course, you don't count children, because everyone would just stop there.
We have a LaCie brick -- external hard drive--not too big, I think 300 gigabytes--well, I guess it's pretty big, and it's kept away from the PC in another part of the house in the event of getting hit by lightning (this has happened, so it's not a distant possibility.) I'd want this because we have many pictures on it that are no where else. Also our tax history for the past 8-10 years or so. That might be important. I'd want my sewing machine, and the quilts that have been basted together but are not quilted yet.
I know Bobby would want to get his ham radio stuff out, as much as he could get. His "Radio Shack" is near several windows, and I assume he'd just break them and pitch a lot of his equipment out through the window holes.
I guess if I could think of it, I might grab my college diploma off the wall above my computer.
All this introspection makes me realize that I don't have much in the way of "things" to save. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. We have some big stuff that would just have to get melted down with the house. I couldn't get my piano, my PC, my headboard that I waited nearly 13 years to get because I couldn't find one I liked, our big TVs. I might try to get my quilt projects, each in an individual plastic carrier. Yep, for sure those.
Several years ago we went around our house videotaping everything we have--for insurance purposes. It's out of date now, and I think we need to repeat the exercise. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to do it about every year or two. It's proof that you actually had what you're claiming was lost.
So, what I have learned from this is that there are some things that should be saved, maybe in a safety deposit box (irreplaceable papers, aforementioned up-to-date video), but otherwise, getting myself and my husband out (well, he'd have to get himself out after messing with his radio equipment) I'd just have to watch it burn.
Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment