Monday, September 7, 2009

Autumn and Winter

This is Labor Day. Summer is coming to an end. In this part of the world, that's something to think about. I have read AmyCW's feelings about autumn and on a superficial level always disagreed, because dreaded winter was on the way. It found it difficult to enjoy something that's the precursor to something I definitely do NOT enjoy. Having spent 10 years living in the Rocky Mountains, and arriving there directly from San Diego, I think I could be forgiven for not noticing the beauty of autumn--I mean winter was coming and YIKES!!, I hated winter. I guess it has taken me another 25-30 years to get over it, because I carried the dislike for autumn here and never got over it--until now. Now back to Amy's discussions about autumn--that girl truly loves it. I believe it's contagious because having read her words, and given them their deserved thought and consideration, I decided consciously to dissect and change my opinions about this quarter of my life. Dissection was simple--oncoming winter made it difficult to enjoy the moment. AH HA! That's the key. Enjoying the moment--sort of like enjoying life even there will be an end to it--enjoying old age because the end of life is nearer--you get the picture. Being in the moment is something just about everybody gives lip service to, but as you can see, I have failed in this--until now. Cooler weather is here (sorry Amy--it's cooler here in Oklahoma!) and I am thinking about jeans and sweaters, sneakers instead of flip-flops, and jackets in the evening. Thinking about them, not quite there yet, but I can feel that it's coming. I'm going to re-read Amy's monologue about the joys of autumn and will be immersed in it soon. Winter will come, but so will spring--and I don't want to miss a minute of either.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still in the San Diego mode. When I see the beautiful green trees and shrubs begin to die and fall off, I begin what used to be a deep depression that lasted for about 6 months.

    After dealing with it head on, I now only get mildly depressed when things start to die.

    I very much dislike the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, seasons are clearly overrated, but since we have to live with 'em, acceptance would be the best solution, and prevent the depression. Start looking forward to Spring--of course Oklahoma winters are generally milder than Utah winters--we start to get springy in February--so that's easy for me to say... hehehe

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I miss having seasons. We have a couple weeks of quasi-winter, a couple weeks of spring, and then summer. Autumn is vague here. Most of the leaves just turn brown and fall off after the first freeze, which may follow a day that had highs in the 70's after a week in the 80's. It's a rare and remarkable thing to see colorful autumn leaves. Mostly it's just one hot muggy day after another.
    Of course, never having to drive in or shovel snow enables me to wax nostalgic about the beauty of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall here is spectacular. I get emotional, it is so great. Winters are mild, I guess. And the hot muggy days are brief. Springs are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete