Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cats, Flowers and Genes

Ma used to feed the cats. She didn't personally keep any pets, but she fed cats nevertheless. Every day, she would come out her back door and take the catfood dish in. They would start to gather. By the time she came out with the dish full of food, and another with water, they were there. Five or six usually--they appeared at mealtime just like clockwork. She would talk to them while they ate. Then she'd go in and get her teapot full of boiling water and pour it carefully into the cracks of the sidewalk around her yard--killing millions of ants marching around here and there. I think I'm going to feed cats when I retire. I always thought it was pretty cool how they just came for dinner. Nana grew geraniums--all varieties. She had a whole back yard full of them. She knew each variety and loved them all. My favorite were the Martha Washingtons. They're lavender tipped with white centers and a fine black line like a sunburst coming from the center. For you folks in the Rocky Mountains--in San Diego, you can grow whatever you like whenever you like--outside in your yard. We had ferns, poinsiettas, geraniums, birds of paradise, carnations--all growing year round. I would love to be like Nana and have a garden of beautiful flowers, but I am afraid that gene went directly through me to some of my children--Amy and Jennie especially are terrific flower growers. Amy planted a beautiful flower garden a few years ago in the flower bed in my front yard. It was great, but the flowers were annuals. Nana inherited this trait from her father. Pa was a wonderful gardener. Everything he touched grew. How wonderful to have a green thumb! I wonder how many others of their descendants love to garden...

2 comments:

  1. I remember Ma's cats. I remember her killing ants with scalding water. I don't remember Nana's geraniums. Where were they planted in the back yard?

    After living in Utah for so long, I forgot how easy it is to grow flowers and plants in San Diego. When we went to live in Covina from 1987 - 1990 we laughed that I was outside weed-wacking plants that were growing wild all over the place...and these were the same kinds of plants that Karen and I nurtured in Utah - talking to them, watering them oh so gently, and feeding them so they'd grow into these pitiful little things. Weed-wacking them in CA and nurturing them in UT.

    Do you remember Pa's lath house? What a wonderful, mysterious place that was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana's geranium garden was in the East San Diego house--after they moved from K Street--it's the house they were living in when Gramps died. It took up almost her whole back yard.

    In Chula Vista they couldn't get rid of all the geraniums growing along some of the streets--they were killing them as weeds--so the City Council voted them the city flower!

    I do remember Pa's lath house--very mysterious.

    ReplyDelete