Friday, April 3, 2009

On Saying Goodbye

Our friend died. He died from being "rode hard", badly maintained, and things getting worse than professionals could manage. But still, he's gone. We talked about the fact that going forward, this will happen more and more frequently. I have heard very old people say that one of the hardest things about growing old is that so many of your peers are dead. I hope his family all knew how much he loved them. I hope he told them and showed them often. His wife (also a much loved friend) said she wouldn't have believed how much this hurts. When we married, we were in our 50s and knew for sure that the term of our lives was limited. One of us will have to say "good bye". Hopefully when that time comes, we will be able to be there and actually say good bye. Better still, let those we love know it all the time. If you never saw someone you love again, would you be comfortable in the knowledge that they knew you loved them?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your friend died, Mom. I hope his wife will be comforted by your friendship. I love you.

    ReplyDelete