Friday, December 3, 2010

Argyle

I just finished a quilt top for Grampy. The fabrics are brown/beige/ecru and blue, and the diagonal lines (that's the thing that makes it argyle) are gold rope. The reason I chose argyle is that when Grammy started kntting (yep, I was there) she knitted socks. At first, she tried knitting the whole thing as a flat piece and sewing a seam to join the sides. She didn't like that at all; I think she only made one pair like that and didn't give them to anyone. Then she tried using three needles and was able to knit the sock as a whole (like a tube) as she went. She was very proud when she "got" the heel part--it was pretty cool. She made many pairs of argyle socks for Grampy. So, that's why I decided to make his quilt as an argyle-type. I really think it turned out nicely, and is just the right size to use while he's sleeping on his recliner. I bought enough backing fabric so I can make a pillow case also. I used occasional blocks cut from a Route 66 fabric with old 40s and 50s cars and Route 66 signs. I'm hoping to get it quilted next week so I can give it to him while I'm on my way to Austin to the tiny girl's first birthday party next Saturday. We're going down on Friday; I'd better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment