Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Real Milestone Quilt-top

I just finished a quilt top that was quite difficult to make. The patterns came from a group of quilts made in Baltimore a couple of hundred years ago--they're called "Baltimore Quilts." The particular ones I made were from a pattern book called "Baltimore Basics" and consist of 12 different designs. They're traditionally made of dark greens and reds--I used more vivid reds and greens as well as some golds and blues--it is my quilt, after all. The technique used is hand applique--and the particular applique I did mostly was "needle-turn." I learned how to make two different types of flowers as well as a few other methods of actually getting the patterns on the fabric. Initially I had planned to use 13 blocks so I used one pattern twice--putting cherries on one and flowers on the other, so they don't really look the same. I ended up using 12 blocks so I put my least favorite on a pillow. Now that I have the quilt top done and the "sandwich" completed, I'll quilt it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. Here it is:

As you can see, the appliqued blocks are interspersed with a plain fabric block.

No comments:

Post a Comment