Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Handwork Gene

I have been trying to think where my handwork gene came from. Grammy knitted and her mother, Nana (Reta Rasmussen Beaman) made all her own clothes during the Great Depression--including her underwear. She also made fitted sheets long before they were available commercially. I remember seeing her mother, Ma (Martha Jensen Rasmussen) doing handwork, but I don't remember what she was making.

My other grandmother, Amy Slade Brown, made quilts--she cut the pieces with scissors and sewed them together by hand, as everyone did then--also her sister, Waitie (we called her Nantie). Grandma Amy also crocheted--she taught me how--and she also embroidered beautiful cut work. I wish I had a set of one of her pillow cases.

So, I guess the question is not where my handwork gene came from, but rather, what took me so long. Actually, I have been making things by hand for a long time--I sewed for my kids, made quilts when we lived in Utah (br-r-r-r-r), and crocheted an afghan one year (I had seen something I liked and thought I might be able to figure out how to make it--and I did.)

In retrospect, I see that I have always done this, but didn't have the freedom, time or patience to do it day after day. One thing I am really looking forward to is going to the International Quilt Show in Houston next month with my daughter and one of Bobby's cousins. My daughter Amy clearly got the handwork gene. I guess I always thought I just didn't get this trait, but only did handwork out of necessity. Since it seems to have been all over our family tree prior to me, I have to assume many of my progeny will inherit it, too. Probably many of Bob's too.

If you think you don't have it, you might be wrong. :)

4 comments:

  1. I dont have it. Not at all. I cant draw, cut, sew or iron (do I even own an iron?) a straight line. I think you also have to have the "want" to do it. I dont. Sorry Mom - you didnt pass it on to me. I am amply impressed by those who do, its just not me. I guess I dont really do anything creative. I just think a lot...maybe thats creative. I like to teach...maybe that is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I inherited it either. I do many other creative things- teaching, theatre, painting. But definitely not anything with fabric, material, or needles. Luckily, Avery has many grandmothers and great-grandmothers who do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are lots of ways to be creative that have nothing to do with fabric or sewing. I think we have an exceptionally creative family, and very few of us sew. Handicrafts are just one form of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not at alll creative. Also, I think Ma made crochet doilies. I think I have one she made, actually. I believe Grammy told me she won some prizes at the California state fair.

    ReplyDelete