Saturday, February 14, 2009

A New Valentine's Day

When Hunky Bob and I were little, our mother, Grammy, made us breakfast every day. One of my favorite things was hot cereal, which she made alot. The one I liked best was Wheathearts, a cereal that I can't find anymore. You know how mothers say the same thing over and over again? Well, Grammy -- every single time she cooked Wheathearts for us -- said, I'm cooking Wheathearts for my Sweethearts! every time. I liked that, and loved the cereal, so it was fine with me. Valentine's Day was celebrated by making a heart-shaped cake and frosting it pink, or a regular cake and putting little candy hearts on it--something like that, and we knew we were her valentines. That's what Valentine's Day was for us. Until I had children, we didn't "do" Valentine's Day celebrations, but after they came along, I did the wheathearts for my sweethearts thing--until I couldn't find Wheathearts any longer. I also did the cakes with little candy hearts on them. They were my valentines. I hope they knew it. They also made me darling little valentines, and I loved them all. Bobby brings me cards, flowers, and silky things on Valentine's Day! It was a wonderful surprise the first time he did that. Now I know I have someone to share this day with even though my children have all moved on and started their own lives with their own valentines. What a terrific prospect! So, this year, my little valentine, Calysta, and I went to LA Nails and got our nails done, then my big valentine and I went to PeiWei for lunch. This evening I'm going to fix him a cold shrimp platter, a warm slaw salad and hot crescent rolls. It's small things, on a small day, but my heart is warm and feeling loved. Happy Valentine's Day to all my valentines.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Happy Valentine's Day, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day, my Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good day although my valentines were at work! I spent the day studying and doing homework....still a good day!

    ReplyDelete