Friday, February 20, 2009

A Beautiful New Diamond Ring

Daddy brought me Nana's diamond a few weeks ago--I blogged about it. Well, today I went to a re-style show at Zale's and had it set! The setting is beautiful. It's a yellow gold band --wide like my wedding band--with a cathedral structure on the side. That means that the gold slopes upward toward the top of the diamond on the sides. The diamond is set down into the setting in a platinum 6-pronged crown. When the jeweler saw it, she exclaimed, "Oh, it's really old". Bobby says, yeah millions of years, I think. What she meant was that the particular cut of this stone is how they used to cut diamonds at the turn of the last century. Nowadays they put a bigger flat facet on the top--she said she thinks the cut of this diamond has much more fire. I'm going to post a picture on MyFamily so go there and look! I think it's really beautiful, and I think all would approve--Ma, Nana and Mother. When I look at it, I am struck at how many years it has been since I saw this beautiful diamond on Nana's finger when I was very little and taking piano lessons from her. I'm also struck that I'm at the top of the women in our family--ok, ok--the oldest. It's truly a bittersweet feeling. Of course, I would have preferred to see Mother's ring on her own finger--but, that's just not the way life is. I am really thankful that I have this wonderful heirloom from so many of my loved ones now gone--and I'll be the last one who knew all of them.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the ring on myfamily. I'm sure that the picture does not do the ring justice. I can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete