Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year about 60 Years Ago...

When I was 8 and Bobby had just turned 5, our mother had just gotten re-married and we were living in the home in San Diego that was next door to our grandparents.  We were up early and were talking about what a new year meant.  I was trying to explain it because, well, I was 8 and practically (I thought) a grown-up.

Also, around that time, Queen Elizabeth's coronation was happening, and I was trying to explain that--he kept asking was she our queen and I kept saying no, she's the Queen of England--well, aren't we English--no, we're Americans, etc., etc., etc. and so it went.

Finally, he asked me, well if we aren't English, and she's not the Queen of California, why is it on the TV?

Good question I was never able to adequately answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment