Friday, December 11, 2009

White Wheat

So, I have made a discovery--white wheat! I had a visit from the Relief Society presidency and during our conversation, I had asked about purchasing wheat from the Bishop's Storehouse. She said they bought as a ward frequently, and she mentioned white wheat. As I had never heard of this, I asked about it. The president, Cindy, didn't know a lot, but the counselor she brought with her did, and she liked it. Well, since I wanted to buy some wheat, and it sounded good, I bought 50 pounds of it--besides the price was great--I mean REALLY great--$11.80 for 50 lbs. Well, let me tell you, it's wonderful! The wheat when ground appears about half way between whole wheat flour and white bleached flour in color. The dough it makes is very soft--and I mixed it about half and half to bleached flour. The bread is great--very tender and soft. Bobby's worried because it's very tasty and delightful--he has visions of many pounds added...so, in all, I would recommend this product to anyone who grinds wheat and makes his/her own bread. One more thing. I would like to purchase dried corn next year when I'm in Utah--apparently, here in the heartland where cornbread is the national food, they don't have it! Hopefully someone will help me out and discover where I can buy some.

2 comments:

  1. Mom, I just bought and sealed into pouches 200 lbs of popcorn - it can be ground into meal/polenta with the grain mill and used just like any other cornmeal. All I can find around here in bulk is "deer corn" which I don't know, it just doesn't sound good to me, and popcorn. Plus I can make popcorn with it too. I got the 50 lb bags of popcorn at Sam's.
    There are lots of websites where you can purchase any kind of grain in bulk but the shipping can be really high.
    White wheat is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that popcorn is the grain of choice for grinding corn meal. Thanks for the web link. I'm going to do the buttermilk whole grain recipe tomorrow (all of it).

    ReplyDelete